Donation Exclusion List
- Used Mattresses—due to bio hazard / bed bug concerns.
- Chemicals—specialized disposal process (unless it is something we KNOW for SURE that we can use—i.e. select cleaning supplies)
- Used Tires—also a specialized disposal process - very expensive to dispose of.
- E-Waste Items (non-working electronics/appliances) - we currently DO NOT have the system, manpower, or budget in place to constantly recycle these.
- Structurally-Compromised Furniture—we don't want any one getting hurt (personnel/customer) nor expose ourselves to potential lawsuits. However, there are VERY RARE EXCEPTIONS when the item is a repairable antique item (subject to management's approval).
- Inflated Items (inflatable beds/pools/etc.)—unless it's one of those inflatable blow-up characters, we do not take these as well since they are USELESS punctured.
- Car / Booster Seats—Due to recall issues we can only accept NEW.
- Linens / Blankets / Soiled Sleeping Pillows -due to bio hazard / bed bug concerns. We will accept NEW.
- Tube TVs—buying market is virtually gone; an expense to recycle.
- Wet/Smelly/Damaged/Heavily-Soiled Articles (includes clothes, couches, toys, etc)—should be self-explanatory, but as always, we try to be courteous in explaining to customers WHY turning down their less-than-desirable conditioned items help curb our operating costs (which obviously, in-turn, keeps the shelter doors open).
We also highly recommend donors to place items in clear plastic bags.
It is not a guarantee that your items will be taken at the time it is dropped off. Donations will be at the discretion of the Dock Lead/Associates. Thank you!
Thrift Store Hours
- Monday-Saturday: 9:00am-7:00pm
- Sunday: 11:00am-5:00pm
Thrift Store Donation Hours*
- Monday-Saturday: 9:00am-4:00pm
- Sunday: 11:00am-2:00pm
*In some cases the dock can and will close due to weather change and/or an over-abundance of donations; as a reminder storage is limited.
- Monday 11am-4pm ( Fairfield/Suisun OR Dixon/Winters.)
- Wednesday and Friday 11am-4pm Vacaville only
- Thursday 11am-4pm estates/house clean outs.
Due to extreme volume in daily pickups, our schedule is at a minimum of 2 weeks in advance. Pickup hours do not guarantee a specific time at any destination. Due to traffic and drive time, pickups are based on the time window given above.
For more information on donation delivery or pickups please contact:
James Ward, , (707) 446-6246
Volunteer at the store
The Opportunity House Thrift Store and Boutique provides financial support to the Shelter. In addition, it supplies needed items and outreach to other social service agencies throughout our hometown. We need cashiers, treasure hunters, administrative help and dock assistance. We make a difference and share a smile each day. Come and join our devoted and fun group.
Volunteer at the shelter
If you have skill in the fields of practical life or job development that you would like to share, we would be happy to arrange a time for you to meet with us. Make a personal difference with our residents!
O-House Thrift in Vacaville reopens with new look
By Kimberly K. Fu, The Reporter News | January 2018
Bargain shoppers and treasure hunters take note — the Opportunity House Thrift Store has reopened. The newly renovated space on Peabody Road is freshly cleaned, painted, organized and open for business as of Tuesday. The store had closed for about a week as staff and supporters briefly took over the facility. "This was all-volunteer," said Sunny Tyler, the store manager. "Everything from the paint to the signs." The remodel, it seems, was a great experience. "They have put their hard work into this," said Tyler of the volunteers. "It was everybody putting up a helping hand."